TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE SPECIFIC CARBOHYDRATE DIET (SCD)
By Natalie Hill
- Quit illegal foods cold turkey. I promise you it is so much easier to just cut everything out at once than trying to phase things out.
- Try to follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet as a family. Especially at first, it is really not fun to watch your mom or brother eat ice cream while you have frozen fruit.
- Try not to stress yourself out too much. Yes, the list of legal and illegal foods is daunting but I promise you'll get the hang of it in a month or so.
- Start by focusing on healthy foods. Initially, it will be difficult to know what products will be safe for you. Try to buy more produce and fresh meats and cook meals at home.
- Two words: Bone Broth. This stuff is incredible. If I am ever not feeling well, I have some bone broth and it helps me feel much better.
- Try to figure out what your triggers are. My biggest trigger is gluten. There have been a few times that I have accidentally had something with refined sugar and I did not have any issues. The response to different varies person-to-person, so you just need to figure out what works for you.
- Try to incorporate anti-inflammatory foods. Foods such as turmeric, ginger, oily fish (salmon and tuna) and berries will help lower inflammation.
Natalie Hill grew up in Atlanta and is now a senior dietetics student at Auburn University. Natalie was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 2013 and has managed it through both medication and the SCD diet. Natalie plans to work in pediatric dietetics after her postgraduate internship.
This article, as well as all others, was reviewed and edited by a member of our Medical Advisory Board.
Subscribe Be the first to know