WHO HAS THE MOST RISK FROM A COLONOSCOPY
Sally Lorimer, Stan Cohen
While colonoscopy usually has a small risk, there are certain individuals who have a somewhat increased chance of having a colonoscopy:
- Are over 80 years of age
- Have a blockage in their intestine
- Have active disease or a narrowing (stricture)
- Need that narrowed area opened at colonoscopy (dilation)
- Have active inflammation in the colon (the large intestine)
- Are on steroids, opioids (narcotics), immune-acting medicines or biologic medicines
- Have had multiple abdominal or pelvic (bladder or female) surgeries
- Have had pelvic radiation
- Have diverticulosis
Many thanks to Sally Lorimer for her help with helping to balance the risks against those in our everyday lives.
This article, as well as all others, was reviewed and edited by a member of our Medical Advisory Board.
Subscribe Be the first to know